Download the PDF below for full instructions on how to use our Dypro Multi-Purpose Dye to dye fabric, including dyeing by hand, wool and silk, and stockings and tights. Please get in touch if you need any further assistance with technical information.
Full instructions are also written out in the section below.
- Suitable Fabrics: cotton, linen, viscose, wool, silk, nylon and elastane
- NOT for pure synthetics (except nylon), polyester/wool mixtures, or fabrics with special finishes
- Multi-Purpose Dye is not colourfast so garments should always be washed separately
1. Weigh dry fabric and wash thoroughly, even if new, to remove stains or dressings. Leave damp.
2. Fill a rust and heat proof vessel with sufficient water to cover fabric and allow easy movement during dyeing.
3. Wearing rubber gloves, dissolve the dye powder in 500ml/1 pint boiling water. Add to dye vessel.
4. Add solution to vessel with 30g / 1oz salt, stirring well.
5. Place damp, unfolded fabric into the vessel. Bring to simmer and then dye for 20 minutes stirring constantly to ensure even coverage.
6. Rinse fabric until water runs clear. Dry away from direct heat and sunlight. Do not use tumbledryer.
Wool and Silk
Follow Hand Method above, steps 1-4,
5. Place damp unfolded fabric into the vessel. Bring slowly to simmer and reduce heat at once. Stir gently for 10 minutes.
6. Remove article from dye solution, supporting the weight, and allow to cool before rinsing in lukewarm water until the water runs clear. Dry away from direct heat and sunlight.
Stockings and Tights
10g of dye will colour 3-5 pairs of heavy nylon stockings or tights. For 4 pairs of 15 denier use half the dye solution to 2 ¼ liters / 4 ½ pints of water.
Download the PDFs below for full instructions on how to use our Dypro Multi-Purpose Dye to dye non-fabric materials, including:
PLASTIC BUTTONS AND OTHER PLASTIC ITEMS
Fabric dyes such as Dypro multi-purpose dye are not always colourfast. Colours can fade if the fabric is washed regularly.
If a garment such as a costume used in a play is worn and washed regularly, Dyprofix can help to keep the colours in the fabric looking vibrant.
Dyprofix is available in a 250ml bottle complete with measuring cap. The usage guide is as follows: